Friday, December 10, 2010

"Paint Shaker"....... One Cool Harley Road King!

At first glance it might not seem that trick, just another vivid black 2006 Harley Road King Classic, one of thousands, but that's where you'd be wrong my friend, because just as a quick glance in a smoke filled bar at 2am might be, shall we say "misleading" (not to mention possibly fraught with grievous consequences), Paint Shaker's true beauty only becomes obvious to those make the effort. As it should be, don't you think.

My '06 Road King (2006 FLHRCI for you purist out there, if you don't speak Harley hieroglyphics don't worry, most folks don't and I won't use them again) is my first Harley, a first among a long litany of lesser machines of my past. I say this only to anger the haters, you know, the ones that convulse in spasms of agony every time some cretin has the temerity to suggest that a Harley is actually a decent motorcycle......heaven forbid! For the record my prior motorcycle ownership included a number of Japanese sportbikes and a fair share of off-road machines as well. So I have had my share of experience on "real" motorcycles........better now haters!?

As with any "first", there was a lot to learn; this thing weighs a ton, it's easier to ride than it appears, it's not very fast, it doesn't stop very fast either, it sounds great, it's super comfortable, that headlight looks like it's four feet out in front of me.........and everywhere I go, people love it. From old couples obviously reminiscing about rides long since past, to young toughs giving me a nod and a thumbs up, folks do love HD.........ah, the bike, not me. So now that I have this thing...........I can't just leave it alone, some serious "personalization" is in order. You notice I say "personalization" and not "customization", big difference, and since I'm not building frames, bending and welding hot metal, nor applying layer after layer of eye candy lacquers.........I just don't feel comfortable even suggesting that I'm doing anything remotely comparable to the likes of Ness, Simms, or the lads at Sucker Punch Sally's......nope, that's a whole different deal.

That's not to say I didn't have a design theme in mind to guide me along the way (no mixing of eagles and skulls here buddy!), a concept to refer to, a mental two-by-four that could be applied to my brain if I began straying down some wayward design detour that would ultimately lead to gasps of ridicule rather than slack-jawed admiration. And that inspiration, my muse if you will is a badass '50 Merc coupe; black on black, fat white wall tires, slammed to the ground........you can see it huh? Way cool, I know.

Before we get into all the goodies that make up Paint Shakers DNA, let's take a quick look at what didn't change. The frame and wheels are stock, as is the five-speed transmission. Both front and rear fenders are as they were straight out of York PA, save the trim, same goes for the gas tank.........now let's get to the good stuff.

One of the first things to go were the brakes, not that they weren't good (and the new generation anti-locks from Brembo are truly awesome), but I just wanted better, along with a more custom look. The solution? A set of 13 inch El Dorado drilled, fully floating discs matched up to six piston Differential Bore calipers from the good folks at Performance Machine (http://www.performancemachine.com/) were fitted up front along with braided steel brake lines and a pair of Progressive front fork springs (http://www.progressivesuspension.com/) to lessen the dive these new brakes might induce. Out back we installed a stock diameter El Dorado disc mated up to a four piston PM caliper. I did try to be super trick and install a six piston on the rear (overkill, I know, you can't even see it!), but it just wouldn't work right, my guess is the master cylinder would have to be changed.........but that's just a guess.

The result? Not only are the brakes a visual work of art, but two fingered stops are now a reality; worth it, worth it, worth it. Since we're focusing up front as it were, the fork tubes were dipped in a bath of chrome while the bars were replaced with Fat Bars from Harley Davidson (http://www.harley-davidson.com/) and all the switch gear, reservoirs, and housings were swapped for chromed versions. Stock mirrors came off in favor of some trick billet oval numbers from the Motor Company. Lastly, the tank was fitted with a "flush mount" gas cap and guage, while the stock speedo was ditched for a sano combination tach and speedometer unit. Very nice...........and you really need to know when you're about to achieve that rod bending 5200 RPM redline........really.

While we're on the subject of speed, let's be honest a bone-stock Harley is not gonna be mistaken for anything remotely fast........I was nervous if I had a throttle happy soccer mom next to me in a Suburu, oh the shame if she nailed the holeshot. Not to worry gentle readers...........help was on the way, in the form of a Screamin' Eagle 95ci big bore kit, complete with SE-203 cams, and an upgraded oil pump. Speaking of oil (no, not leaks.......you damn haters!), it's my firm belief that an air cooled motor deserves and oil cooler......it just makes sense, I mean there ain't no other coolant in the beast fercrissake! So naturally we installed one, along with a very trick (yeah, it's stupid expensive) Roland Sands Design (http://www.rolandsandsdesign.com/) Venturi air cleaner.......it is truly beautiful, and unlike a bunch of aftermarket air cleaners, it doesn't get in the way of your leg. The only drawback is the lame rainsock......you have to take the unit apart to install it.........really, Roland, really!?

Any good wrench knows a motor's gotta breathe, and Paint Shaker is no exception. So I turned to my good friend Jim Leonard at Vance and Hines (http://www.vanceandhines.com/) for advice. Jim's been with V&H for years now, used to run their race efforts back when they were a factory Ducati and Yamaha superbike team. Since then Jim's been applying his massive brain to making Harley's quicker, what he doesn't know about performance exhaust ain't worth crowding your frontal lobe. After some back and forth we decided that a set of V&H True Duals mated up to a pair of Monster Oval mufflers would do the trick. Of course we would also be installing a Fuel Pak from V&H just to make sure we're wringing every last ounce of "umph" from the lump. With the good folks at McGuire Harley Davidson (http://www.mcguire-hd.com/) handling the tough stuff.........you didn't think I was gonna install the big bore kit do you, our "go fast" mods went in without a hitch.

And once again, we went yard. The improvement in both torque and horsepower is obvious, and right where it should be, your ass.......you don't need any stinking dyno charts to know that you've made a giant improvement in performance. My only gripe is that I didn't do it sooner. The V&H Fuel Pak does such an awesome job that there is zero, and I mean zero, "pop" on deceleration! Pretty amazing stuff. I have to say the Monster Ovals have a very unique sound, it's cool, but it ain't a Thunder Header, so you might listen to one before you buy......I'm just saying.

Along with the motor mods we added a trick billet derby and ignition covers from NYC Choppers (http://www.nycchoppers.com/), Maltese cross of course. All foot controls, shift linkage, oil hoses and bolt covers were replaced with chrome versions from HD. We also replaced the stock dipstick with a cool digital one that reads off the level and temperature..........oh yeah!

Remember our '50 Merc? In keeping with the clean lines and aggressive stance of our four wheeled inspiration, all Road King badging on the front and rear fenders was replaced with '50's era Electra Glide logos and trim. The stock seat was shown the door as well, replaced with a slick "Badlander" perch from HD. It looks great, but I think its days are numbered........I see a Le Pera (http://www.lepera.com/) custom leather seat in my future. The leather covered saddlebags were ditched in favor of a set of hardsided bags from HD for a much cleaner look. All reflectors and crashbars were removed because.........well, do I really have to tell you why?

Cool is cool, but you have to see and be seen.......which is why the lighting package was changed out up front with upgraded "pure white" H bulbs (fashion alert: change them all to the same color white.....mixing and matching looks crappy, trust me), and chrome "eyebrows". Out back we installed a Kuryakyn (http://www.kuryakyn.com/) Panacea "blue dot" taillight and signals. These units are so trick and easy to install, not to mention way more visible than the stock lights, that I don't know why more folks aren't bolting them up.........you should, now.

So we're done right, it's built, we're good to go? Not quite yet grasshopper, there's one last critical touch, one last detail that will define Paint Shaker's very essence........the license plate. You heard me, the license plate. A bike this cool can't sport an ordinary "civilians" badge, no sir, we need authentic, and authentic we shall have courtesy of one Rod Pearman, the Tag Doctor (http://www.tagdr.com/). Rod specializes in restoring old plates for hot rods and show cars and his work is stunning. We went for a black and yellow plate (yeah, I know to be "50's" it should be a yellow background, but I didn't want to push my luck with the CHP quite that far) and I must say it really makes the bike.

So there you have it, a profile of Paint Shaker. And just in care you're wondering, the name Paint Shaker came from the fact that the motor, when it's idling, looks just like one of those paint shakers you find at the hardware store........kinda sounds like one too. And that's why I dig it, if I have to explain that..........well, you know the rest of that cliche'. And stay tuned for a profile of my CVO Springer Softail, that baby is trick!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really old post but I have just come across it. My dad left me his 2005 Road King and I'm working on figuring out how I can make it my own. First, I need to paint it - and when I searched black Road King with white walls, your post came up. It's a BEAUTY! I hope you're still riding and enjoying the wind!

    ReplyDelete